Digital Fabrication Excellence
WHERE INSPIRATIONS BECOME REALITY
How do you convert an idea into a product? This is the central question of the Digital Fabrication Excellence program. Participants will learn which skills are necessary to transform an inspiration into an innovative project. In four modules, the entire product development cycle will be examined. Sketches turn into parameterised CAD drawings. FE analyses and digital fabrication lead to prototypes. Actuators, sensory systems and IoT help to fine-tune the project.
Working cross-functionally. Implementing ideas rapidly. Receiving immediate feedback. Failing. Identifying risks. Learning how to handle them. This is what this program is all about. Participants will acquire competencies far beyond the realm of classic innovation management. These newly obtained skills will enable them to assume key positions in their company. Graduates will be able to function as a “one-stop shop”, allowing companies to implement innovation projects with a Lean & Rapid approach. This creates significant competitive advantages in our highly developed environment of globalisation, short product cycles and digital transformation.
WHO’S THE PROGRAM FOR?
Digital Fabrication Excellence is a program for academics and practitioners from the following fields:
- mathematics, computer science, natural sciences, technology (university or university of applied sciences degree)
- architecture, civil engineering, mechatronics, natural resources and life sciences
- electronics, computer science, telecommunication, mechanical engineering, industrial engineering
- product development
- innovation management
- research & development++ software engineering
- systems engineering
- industrial design
- technology consulting
MODULE 1 – CREATING
- spiral innovation, proof of concept, failing fast (1/0.5)
- design thinking (2/1)
- applied systems engineering (3/1.5)
MODULE 2 – TRANSFORMING & GENERATING BITS
- data generation
- creating 2D/3D data (Data Formats, Eagle, Rhino, Grasshopper, Onshape, Solid Works, Inkscape, 3d Scanning) (4/2)
programming (Python) (2/1.5)
- I/O: Raspberry, Pi Arduino (2/1.5)
MODULE 3 – FROM BITS TO ATOMS/TECHNOLOGIES & TOOLS
- rapid prototyping
- rapid tooling
- rapid fabrication
MODULE 4 – MAKING /OPEN LAB
machine training (1/1)
- assignments (7/7)
- 3D printing and scanning
- laser cutting
- vinyl cutting
- PCB fabrication (soldering, CNC, laser, vinyl cutter, P&P)
- final project (4/2)
WHAT WILL YOU BE LEARNING?
At the end of this program, participants will be able to:
- Analyse and understand a technical issue in a systemic way;
- Identify and formulate fundamental questions to efficiently reduce risks and to independently assess them in a feasibility study;
- Illustrate and transform an idea with CAD programs and prepare it for digital fabrication;
- Use an adequate digital process to independently develop the software and hardware for a safe and professional prototype; evaluate, modify and optimize the results;
- Write first I/O programs, control system components, import, transfer, administer and transfer data and connect to the internet (IoT);
- Identify and assess digital fabrication opportunities (rapid prototyping, rapid tooling, rapid manufacturing) and integrate them into the company processes;
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- You are curious, have a strong interest in technical solutions and like to experiment and learn. You want to actively produce ideas and quickly turn them into feasible, sustainable solutions.
- You are constructive, creative and team-oriented. You have an interdisciplinary and systemic way of thinking.
- Your CV, your certificates and your letter of motivation (ideally with a specific project proposal) clearly support your skills. Final admission will be decided by the program supervisor.
Begining: Autumn 2020
4 modules, 15 weekends (Fri & Sat, 8:15 am to 5:30 pm)
€ 6,900 including VAT